Graphic Design Business books/subscriptions etc

Anything goes, sign related or otherwise. Other
manufacturers discussion welcome.

beachnsled

Graphic Design Business books/subscriptions etc

Post by beachnsled » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:33 pm

We were thinking of picking up the "Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines" & some other books.

Anyone have any thoughts opinions?

Thanks!
beach~

beachnsled

Re: Graphic Design Business books/subscriptions etc

Post by beachnsled » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Anyone?

TogaTony

Post by TogaTony » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:47 am

You can't go wrong getting the GAG Handbook or for that matter:
JOIN THE GUILD!

If there is no local chapter near you, join as a 'member-at-large.'

About the handbook:
It's based on an old guideline that works best for that specific trade. I have it (them). Been a Guild member over 20 years. The group is better now with their webinars on various subjects like branding and marketing, besides illustration and design. They are a great pool of knowledge and offer you the ability to connect to other like-minded professionals in the field.

GAG is a great resource filled with incredibly talented entrepreneurs in the graphic arts business.
If you have talent, and if you are inclined to demonstrate that special ability through creative concept (IE: the original idea) and have the tools to communicate that idea, seek to better your skill set and share your enthusiasm with others, the Guild is for you!

Best advantage to joining the GAG is that they (we) are a union.
Not in the old sense but in the even older sense -- like the old German craft guilds in the middle ages.

GAG membership creates an indispensable network of creative talent, enabling and encouraging the members to further enrich their skills and abilities to both further their own goals and that of the common good.

While no longer AFL-CIO as they were when they were UAW Local 3030 (members voted to disaffiliate around 10 years ago), GAG is still a crafts union none-the-less.

At Saratoga Flag, we are proud to be an owner-operator, crafts-union shop.
Saratoga Flag also has affiliation with AFL-CIO through IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts) which enables us to bid on union-related work (like motion pictures, film and political campaigns etc).

Feel free to contact me directly (tony@saratogaflag.com).
Visit our website and take a tour of our portfolio...
View gallery here: www.broadwaybanner.com
Our e-commerce site: www.saratogaflag.com

Make money,

Tony :-)
Summa DC3+, Ledco Digital 42, Versatec E-Stat, Allen Datagraph & Gerber cutters. Apps: Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop on Mac, ColorControl on PC.

beachnsled

Post by beachnsled » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Thank you so much for this info - I did end up picking this book up! Another one I am considering is "Work for Money, Design for Love..."

I will check out the Guild membership page - I thought about it, but wasnt sure if we were qualified enough to belong (I am not the design brain, my partner Sled is for sure).

I will def take a look!

Again, thanks so much!