Dongle Key neccesary?

Anything goes, sign related or otherwise. Other
manufacturers discussion welcome.

Doitright

Dongle Key neccesary?

Post by Doitright » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Been lurking on this forum for a while now just Trying to understand the way these printers operate and if you actually need a USB key Dongle to print from them.
If you have a good full blown rip program do you really need the Dongle?
Can you even print straight from Corel Draw or Illustrator, or does it need the built in rip to do this?

Seems to me the latest of the 3rd party RIP`s would be a better choice, unless of course the factory software is good enough for what most shops do.
I know cost is a factor, but when searching for a used DCXX some don't come with a Dongle which suits me just fine, as long as I can purchase a separate 3rd party RIP I would be Ok with that. :D

Thx,
I actually don't own a DCXX yet, but I sure am thinking about it!

Muts
Site Admin

Re: Dongle Key neccesary?

Post by Muts » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:19 am

You need a RIP that's supports Summa machines. All the latest software needs a dongle to run, it's just a security device to keep you from using more then one copy of the software.
With few exceptions...

Flexi, Signlab both have drivers, most sign software does. Check before you make a purchase.

You can not print directly from windows or corel.

I personally use Summa's RIP with Coreldraw. Using Summa's provided macro to go from
Corel to the RIP.

Doitright

Post by Doitright » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks Muts!
This morning I checked out a really nice DC4sx for sale, no Dongle or software, it powers up. has 4 ribbons, unable to see how much it has printed. I got the price down to $3K, but really am not sure if this would be a gamble or not.
I would prefer to get a 3rd party software program anyway, is this worth a shot to buy this Summa for $3K ?

So are you saying if I get a RIP that will work with the Summa I really don't need the key? I know with the cutting software I have now uses the USB key, although it does not support Summa.

Thank you for the reply! I am trying to get away from clogged print heads and the Summa seems like the ticket.

Muts
Site Admin

Post by Muts » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:50 pm

So are you saying if I get a RIP that will work with the Summa I really don't need the key?
YES. At least not the Summa key.

Make sure the thing prints with out issue. That head can go bad too.

zlmark

Post by zlmark » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:44 pm

So no dongle and you then might want to use a 3rd party rip.
I use Signlab and it works real good................but, Signlab
Print and Cut might cost you $4k. I would really check into
your plan. You might have a shocker.

Mark