Big print problem

General discussion related to CorelDRAW!
CorelPHOTOPAINT! etc.
LifeisGood

Big print problem

Post by LifeisGood » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Ok... here's my dilemma.

I have a 3d image that I am using on my project. I'm using CorelDraw and it is an iStockphoto image. I only want to print a small portion of the image so I cropped the original figuring that would work. The problem is that the color transitions change when I crop it; so an area that went from light blue to dark blue in the original is not the same when part of it was cropped out.

How can I keep the true image when I crop it down?
Whether you think you can or doubt you can, you're probably right.

Markus

Re: Big print problem

Post by Markus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Which software do you use for cropping? If you use Photoshop for cropping an image the colors are bad too?

LifeisGood

Post by LifeisGood » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:53 pm

I did everything in CorelDraw; I don't have Photoshop but I do have Photo-paint. So if I copy the image into Photo-paint, I can crop it without it affecting the color transition?

I don't have any experience with masking so I don't know if that would work, but I was thinking that I might be able to put a white box around the area that I don't want printed. I'm sure the file size is going to be big....

Markus

Post by Markus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:16 pm

LifeisGood wrote:I did everything in CorelDraw; I don't have Photoshop but I do have Photo-paint. So if I copy the image into Photo-paint, I can crop it without it affecting the color transition?

I don't have any experience with masking so I don't know if that would work, but I was thinking that I might be able to put a white box around the area that I don't want printed. I'm sure the file size is going to be big....
Maybe there's a bug in corel? My recommendation is to crop with Photopaint, reimport to corel and print. The colors of the crop may the same as original.

Muts
Site Admin

Post by Muts » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:17 pm

The problem is that the color transitions change when I crop it

hmmm never heard of that one...are you working in rgb or cmyk? jpg? tiff?
I can not reproduce the problem with anything I have. What Corel version?

you could always power clip in draw ( create your crop box, separate rectangle at the correct size. select your image and go to Effects > power clip > place inside container
you'll get a little arrow just click on the empty "crop box" you made
You'll have to then edit it to show the correct region of the image - right click - edit contents

could you post the file?

LifeisGood

Post by LifeisGood » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Uuuugggggghhhhh... I shouldv'e known better... I had about 3 or 4 paragraphs of details and comments all set to post. I was going to add an image as well, so I browse, find it and click it. I hit submit and the whole text portion is done.... I did that b4 on another board I'm on... I shouldv'e known better...

I have to get some sleep... It might be a long day tommorow...

De_Grad

Post by De_Grad » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:02 am

You can convert to bitmap right in coreldraw and than crop it without any changes in your picture. This problem in coreldraw is becouse of fact, that colour transitions automaticly applay to new (croped part of) picture..

LifeisGood

Post by LifeisGood » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:56 pm

De_Grad wrote:You can convert to bitmap right in coreldraw and than crop it without any changes in your picture. This problem in coreldraw is becouse of fact, that colour transitions automaticly applay to new (croped part of) picture..
Thank you for your reply; that is exactly what happens. I sent Muts the file and he converted the layer I was having problems with to a bitmap.

I have since learned how to do that as well...

cariboogirl

Post by cariboogirl » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi

I know this is an old post, but I know what you mean. I get around this by using the eraser tool, then leaving what you want printed. You may have figured out the solution by now, but if not I hope this helps.
cariboo girl
Heritage Signworks

Summa DC4, Eclipse 24" plotter, Corel X3, CS3