Tiled printing in x5

General discussion related to CorelDRAW!
CorelPHOTOPAINT! etc.
Freddie G

Tiled printing in x5

Post by Freddie G » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Here's my problem I'm new to digital signage, my background is hand painting, vinyl cut lettering and some sandblasting on wood signs. Moving into digital signage is the logical extension of my business. So, I get Corel x5 and I'm trying to tile print an image that is 108" x 94". It should print in three 36" panels right? Corel doesn't think so. I click the print icon, go into print setup and click the tile option and from that point forward I'm nothing more than a bystander. I have a list of "centers" to choose from, all virtually meaningless to me and when I select 3 tiles on the x axis and 0 tiles on the y axis to make three panels 36 x 94. When I do this the size of my image is out of whack according to the specs in the box and the scale of the image is ?who knows what or why? Why isn't my scale 100%, I want to print full size. I try to correct this manually in the boxes by highlighting, but alas, to no avail. I preview the print and discover the layout has 36 or more tiles, the number of tiles varies according to each attempt I make to get the 3 panel print that I want.

So, Is it possible to print three 36" columns to make the image? ... or should I adjust the settings on my computer with a sledge hammer and send x5 back to Corel wrapped in camel dung?

Why aren't the simple things ever simple? aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!

Muts
Site Admin

Re: Tiled printing in x5

Post by Muts » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:25 pm

What are you printing to?

Do you have a RIP?

Freddie G

Post by Freddie G » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:28 am

No, I don't have a rip program, I'm a small operator in a rural area and the $4200.00 that Flexi wants is an absurd amount of money for me. Flexi runs a corporation and I'm a small mom and pop variety store. I want to print directly to a wide format inkjet for interior signage. I have a dc4 lined up it isn't being used and the shop that has it is closing. The owner isn't in any rush to do anything, money isn't a factor in this fellows life, (sigh). I am holding off biting the bullet and financing this machine until I find out more about digital printing. The used inkjet (44") was a modest investment. The dc 4 is not all that modest.

As far as I can determine I should be able to print directly from Corel. That's the theory anyway.

Freddie G

Post by Freddie G » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:56 pm

So, I have been researching a lot and where I am at is being satisfied that a used copy of Wasatch Softrip will meet my needs. It is a recent version 6.7. Is there anything I should be aware of about using this product? Is it recognized as reliable and easy to use? The company video's make it look simple (big surprise huh?) but what do the guys on the shop floor have to say about it?

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

LifeisGood

Post by LifeisGood » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:46 am

Freddie,

I am totally a novice to this stuff as well but I've done A LOT of multi-tiled items, some as wide as 8-50" sections on the side of trailers.

I normally design my work at 10% of the actual size and set my machine (a DC-4) to 1000% output. That makes the whole design process easier on my PC. Most of the time I will convert the whole project into a bitmap and then crop the image into 50" sections (49.5" plus a 1/2" overlap from the previous panel). I use the bitmap feature because when I crop the image into the panels, the shadows are maintained instead of being affected by the position of cropping.
Whether you think you can or doubt you can, you're probably right.