Tutorial on how you prepare and print your images?

General tips and techiques used in various sign/graphic design software. Corel, Flexi etc.
cyberdine

Tutorial on how you prepare and print your images?

Post by cyberdine » Mon May 08, 2006 4:16 am

Hi,

I was wondering if some of you are planning on posting a TUTORIAL on how you prepare your prints prior to printing???

How you prepare your images - small and large prints
What software you use
Upload a sample image and see if everyone can achieve the same result when printing...
I am sure some of us will learn something. It should make a good tutorial.
Thanks,

jimdog

Post by jimdog » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi Cyber,

When I prepare images in CorelDRAW, I always try to build colors (or replace if supplied) with as few color layers as possible. And I make sure all RGB color builds are replaced with CMYK. When ColorControl converts RGB to CMYK, it uses standard tables that almost always turn them into colors where all 4 colors are screened. They nearly always look muddy.

Ditto on Photoshop / bitmaps in solid fill areas.

On photos RGB or CMYK doesn't matter as much. RGB photos printed 3-color look less screened, but tend to be darker. I usually opt for CMYK bitmaps printed 4-color, which tends to show more subtle grays and matches better to what I see on-screen in Photoshop.

For nearly everything, I print at 35 lines per inch and use the Double-dot screen shape. An exception would be if I have a large gradient color blend, in which case I'd go with 30 lines per inch and the Round screen shape. Our default setting of 50 lines per inch and Ellipse is loved only by our tech support. It's most forgiving most of the time, but something that does everything doesn't do anything well, in my opinion. I can't remember the last time I used the 50/Ellipse setting.

Something else to consider is that the higher the line-screen, the more likely you'll see gradient banding. That's why I like to keep the line screen lower, and use Double-dot to create the appearance of higher resolution.

If you have any files that's giving you grief, email it to me at jimd@sunmma.us. I'll prep it and send it back explaining what I did.

If the file is much bigger than 10 MBs, email might not be ideal. For bigger files, it's best to use http://www.summadirect.com/upload

Best Regards,
Jim Doggett
Vice President
Summa, Inc.
jimd@summa.us