Printing, then laminating, and then cutting with the DC4

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
mattisme2003

Printing, then laminating, and then cutting with the DC4

Post by mattisme2003 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 am

Hey guys, I'm still doing research before I take the plunge and purchase a Summa. I think I'm leaning towards the DC4 over the DC4sx. Just because it seems like it would be nice to have the ability to do larger jobs; even though a majority of the work I will be getting, would most likely fit on the DC4sx. I was reading and I have seen that a few of you guys print, apply lam, and then put it back through a different plotter than it was printed on (I know in some cases this was done with a DC3).
1. Is it possible to print on the DC4, then laminate, and then put it back through the DC4 and contour cut? I know some of you advise against this (with the DC3) but is this possible with the DC4 or is it advised against as well? I already have a graphtec plotter that has an optical sensor that I could use separately but it's only a 24" plotter; and if I end up getting a DC4 I really would prefer not to have to purchase an additional plotter (made by summa or another company) as well to do stuff larger than 24" (which I feel like might come up fairly often).
2. And a somewhat separate question regarding laminators, if I get a 54" laminator, can I load other sizes of lam into it besides 54" rolls or are they made specifically for one size? What would be a good size laminator to purchase, any suggestions? I was thinking a 42" would handle most of my jobs assuming it can handle smaller rolls as well. I'm somewhat new to all of this, at least the digital print side, so please excuse my ignorance if I am asking silly questions; and in advance I appreciate any help that is yet to come and all those who have already helped me by responding to my other questions in past posts.

Thanks, Matt

jayhawksigns

Re: Printing, then laminating, and then cutting with the DC4

Post by jayhawksigns » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:26 am

Typically, with laminators you can load any size of laminate in the machine. I have a good source for a laminator if you are interested too, better then a Diage but not as much as the higher end units.

As a note on which model you get, make sure you have enough space. We considered getting a DC4 as well, but since we already have a 62" solvent printer, that the DC4sx was just fine for us. I don't think that we would of had room for the DC4 either. These printers are bigger then you think they would be.

Logoman

Post by Logoman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:35 pm

When we talked to Drew Groshong (VP of sales) about our purchase, he warned against that type of action. He told us the DC4 and DC4sx were not as reliable as cutters once you remove the vinyl from the machine. He told us the tracking sensors are better on their regular plotters. So we also bought a D75 plotter to complement our DC4sx.
One of the reasons we opted for a thermal printer over inkjet is you don't necessarily have to laminate the print. I know there are situations where it's better to do so, but it's not always needed.

AHA! Creative

Post by AHA! Creative » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm curious about this workflow as well. I have the dc4sx and a 30" fc5100-75 (graphtec)

Are you running the summa through flexi?

Do you have to print graphtec type2 registration marks? How do you generate those with corel or illustrator?

AHA! Creative

Post by AHA! Creative » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:02 pm

No one?

jayhawksigns

Post by jayhawksigns » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:17 pm

We run our Summa machines through Flexi 90% of the time. We haven't laminated anything yet so I haven't used a print off of our DC4sx in that fashion, but I have done it with prints off of our Mimaki JV3.

The post laminating registration marks need to be whatever the plotter will read, so for you will need to be the Graphtec ones. As for placing them, I would think they would have a plug-in for CorelDraw or Illustrator that will create them for you.

zlmark

Post by zlmark » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:12 pm

So Jayhawk, you are using Flexi to print with on your Summa. Results must
be o.k.? Heard some comflicting reports on Flexi. How is the print/cut?

Mark

jayhawksigns

Post by jayhawksigns » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Print & cut has been fine so far. Registration shifts some depending on the number of items I print at once, but our mighty S-class Summa will too on occasion. For example we printed a 1000 2"x1" stickers in groups of 100 I think, you could tell which one was the first and last if you really looked.

As for printing, I have been meaning to run some side by side comparisons but haven't had the time yet. Call me lazy but unless there is a BIG difference, I'll use the easier work flow of Flexi, especially since I am not the only one printing to the machine. The printer was order to primarily do small decals and for times we need white ink, so if 90% of what we print is spot colors then I don't see where the Summa rip will be able to show its strengths.

Artofacks1

Post by Artofacks1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:11 am

So can we print, laminate ,than back to cut in the dc4 or 5 ?