Specialty Materials colorprint problems on DC4SX

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
Ursta Graphics

Specialty Materials colorprint problems on DC4SX

Post by Ursta Graphics » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance. I'm currently working on a t shirt job for a local school and I'm running into problems with Specialty Materials Colorprint film. I ran it through my machine on normal settings and it ended up having splotchy prints. So I tried upping the density and running double density and still ended up with the same problems. Has anyone had any good experiences using this film? Attached is a photo of the problem print.

Ursta Graphics

Re: Specialty Materials colorprint problems on DC4SX

Post by Ursta Graphics » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 pm

The photo didn't attach for some reason. Here is a link to it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/ ... 010062.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zlmark

Post by zlmark » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:38 pm

what kind of specialty material? Did you take a look at the approved
material above?

Mark

Ursta Graphics

Post by Ursta Graphics » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:47 pm

It is called "Specialty Material Colorprint Standard" It is a T shirt thermal transfer film. Similar to siser colorprint i guess.

zlmark

Post by zlmark » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Your only choice is to adust the density settings I think.
If you don't see this vinyl on the compatible vinyl list it is
anybody's guess.

Mark

TogaTony

Post by TogaTony » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Where can I get some of this ColorPrint?
I'd like to run some tests.

Maybe back off on the density?
Keep in mind your imaging on 'hot glue!'
The material has a coating that is heat activated.
So -- the top side is actually the bottom side when it gets hea pressed to the T-Shirt, right?

Just a thought.

Tony :-)
Gromit.jpg
Gromit.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 8056 times
Summa DC3+, Ledco Digital 42, Versatec E-Stat, Allen Datagraph & Gerber cutters. Apps: Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop on Mac, ColorControl on PC.

Chani

Post by Chani » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:04 pm

TogaTony wrote:Where can I get some of this ColorPrint?
I'd like to run some tests.
You can buy this from Coastal Business Supplies or http://www.specialty-graphics.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
TogaTony wrote:The material has a coating that is heat activated.
So -- the top side is actually the bottom side when it gets hea pressed to the T-Shirt, right?

Just a thought.

Tony :-)
Actually, no. Once you've printed on this media, you remove it from its backer and then press it, print-side up. :)

If you have complex contour-cuts, you use a thermal transfer sheet (Mylar with an adhesive, basically like vinyl transfer tape). :)
Summa DC4sx, HP 2500CP, Summa D75, Graphtec CE5000-60, Roland GX-24, CorelDRAW X3 X4, CS3 Web Premium

Chani

Post by Chani » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Ursta Graphics wrote:Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance. I'm currently working on a t shirt job for a local school and I'm running into problems with Specialty Materials Colorprint film. I ran it through my machine on normal settings and it ended up having splotchy prints. So I tried upping the density and running double density and still ended up with the same problems. Has anyone had any good experiences using this film? Attached is a photo of the problem print.
I hate to ask, but did you touch the surface of your paper before you printed on it? That's the only thing I can think of. I don't actually have my DC4sx yet, so I haven't had a chance to play around with their stuff.

Also, Specialty Materials' vinyls are made by Siser, who makes ColorPrintII, so they are most likely the same thing.
Summa DC4sx, HP 2500CP, Summa D75, Graphtec CE5000-60, Roland GX-24, CorelDRAW X3 X4, CS3 Web Premium

Ursta Graphics

Post by Ursta Graphics » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 pm

I thought it may have been problems touching it / fingerprints .. but i loaded the media with gloves ... and the material also did the same thing half way through the roll so it wasn't from oil on my hands. I ened up jumping the density up to 14400 before it finally started to run respectable prints. I also darkened up the gray circle to hide the imperfections as well. It worked ... but I'm definitely switching to siser.

Ursta Graphics

Post by Ursta Graphics » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:22 pm

*UPDATE* After sending back the Specialty Materials film I got in similar material from Siser (Colorprint II) This stuff works perfect when ran on the same stock settings for Premium vinyl. Good to finally have some product that works! You can add this to the materials list with a thumbs up!

Muts
Site Admin

Post by Muts » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Siser (Colorprint II) - added to the list...... Thanks

Bemidji840

Post by Bemidji840 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Hey there-

Kind of an old reply here, but I read this today and was very surprised. I'm a long time Specialty Materials customer, and the one time I had a problem with a roll, they replaced it right away. I've never had that kind of customer service from Siser. Just my two cents... :)