Cassette obstruction...help anyone

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
Becky Hopper

Cassette obstruction...help anyone

Post by Becky Hopper » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:02 pm

I have had my DC4sx for several months now. I am very new at the digital print as I have only cut vinyl for years. From the start, I have had hang-ups, some my lack of knowledge and some maybe not. I have learned about my printer and have worked through some of them with the help of some very patient and very helpful summa tech support guys.
The one problem I still have and cannot resolve is a message that I get in the process of a print. The message reads...store obstruction pull cassette manually to the back of the machine. I open the back of the machine, pull the cassette from the head, back into its location, but it cancels out the job and its wasted. I have run a store locator, cleaned all I can clean, and lastly ran a firmware update that tech support walked me through. He said if that didn't fix the problem, then I would need to order a part for some sensor. I told him I have had this problem and have called about this same message several times.
On Thursday, I printed several prints,,,no problem. Then the dreaded message appeared again. I just stopped and left for the weekend holiday.
This has become a very frustrating obstacle to resolve.
ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Don't get me wrong. I love SUMMA. I have had a D60 for years. Love my machines. Just need them to produce for me.

zlmark

Re: Cassette obstruction...help anyone

Post by zlmark » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:55 am

I think I would check back on some previous posts and see what what
said. I'm thinking you might have a bad switch in the cassette area.

Mark

TogaTony

Post by TogaTony » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 am

HOPEFULLY, THIS IS AN EASY FIX:
Problem is probably with cassette and carriage rollers.

1. REMOVE cassette
2. Reach in and CLEAN the white (TOP) carriage rollers.
3. Check ribbon cassette for any imperfections.
4. Clean stainless steel cassette bay.
5. Inspect cassette for imperfections.
6. Make sure cassette is closed completely all around ribbon.

I had this problem last year (search "obstruction" for related posts).
I cleaned the rollers & checked the cassettes & all is well.
Sometimes it happens again (monthly) and it's usually the cassette not being closed tight or the cassette is hanging up in the bay. Clean those rollers!

Good luck!

Tony
Summa DC3+, Ledco Digital 42, Versatec E-Stat, Allen Datagraph & Gerber cutters. Apps: Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop on Mac, ColorControl on PC.

Becky Hopper

Post by Becky Hopper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Well I spent some time on the phone with Summa Monday and he got me to run another firmware update. As of now it has printed with no obstruction error. Summa really does have great tech support and are always glad to try to help. I have some more to print tomorrow so we will continue to cross our fingers.

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk » Sun May 05, 2019 3:27 pm

I have the same problem. it tells me to manually pull the cassette to the back to the back. I have to do this for every cassette in the machine. Then I get a ribbon take up error. Take up moved 1. Brake moved 3695, and again... move cassette to back of machine. Over and over again. Does anyone know how to solve this?
Last time I changes media, the printhead moved right away, before I was finished, and scrunched up the media badly. I had to push the printhead out of the way to get the media untangled. Something out of alignment now?? Help :oops:

TogaTony

Post by TogaTony » Tue May 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Problem is 2 fold:

1. Dirty rubber wheels slipping -- cannot pull cassette.
2. Cassette not sliding in easily (too much friction).

Make sure cassette & path is thoroughly clean.
I use my own Windex formula:
Spray bottle filled with water.
Add 5% ammonia, 5% isopropyl alcohol and a few drops of liquid detergent.

Sometimes it might just be a bad cassette.
If cassette does not close tightly, they will hang.

I've used 2 mil vinyl to tape some cassettes.
Try it!

Good luck!

Tony ;-)
Summa DC3+, Ledco Digital 42, Versatec E-Stat, Allen Datagraph & Gerber cutters. Apps: Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop on Mac, ColorControl on PC.