Oracal Vinyl and the DC4

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
Sabretooth

Oracal Vinyl and the DC4

Post by Sabretooth » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Boy, it sure pays to go back and read the owners manual after you've been running these things for awhile. There's a feature in "Printer Control" that's called Double Density which is designed to print on non-Summa approved materials. It has it's own set of default settings and works 100% as advertised. Since I started using it I haven't had any issues with chasing density up and down the scale or having to cut off used ribbon and re-attach the rolls...etc..etc.
This isn't the same as "Double Dot" in Color Control...that feature causes me a crazy amount of headaches on Oracal vinyl.

Try it.......
Summa DC4 Illustrator & Photoshop

zlmark

Re: Oracal Vinyl and the DC4

Post by zlmark » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Wonder if 'Double Density' uses more ribbon? This is some real good info.

Mark

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Been doing some experimenting with this "Double Density" setting in Printer Control.
You can still alter the LPI and dot pattern in Color Control while this is on and I've found that using "Double Density" along with "Double Dot" in printer control and 35LPI gives some really nice results and the resolution appears to be much tighter than we usually get. Still some issues on big 48" prints with the odd white line showing up but light years better than pre-double density days.
Summa DC4 Illustrator & Photoshop

mpedro

Post by mpedro » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:58 pm

I have had a lot of problems lately with running Oracal vinyl.

Check out my last post about using Oracal http://www.digital-graphica.com/phpBB3/ ... 0&start=30

springhilltinting

Post by springhilltinting » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:00 pm

do you have to still alter the density value setting when you have double-density enabled? i'm experimenting with Oracal 651 white and wouldn't mind some help.

mpedro

Post by mpedro » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 pm

yeah, as far as I remember I had to increase the density settings and use double density when using Oracal 651

springhilltinting

Post by springhilltinting » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:41 pm

thanks mpedro.
i went ahead and printed a linefeed calibration with my standard 12000 density setting and double-density enabled, and the cyan seems to be printing really clearly. so when it's done i'm gonna go ahead and run some sample prints and share the results.

springhilltinting

Post by springhilltinting » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:06 pm

my prints turned out super clean. i'm very satisfied. thanks guys for pointing out the double-density setting!

zlmark

Post by zlmark » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:24 pm

I tried double density too. I still can't help but wonder if it uses more ribbon on
this setting. Anybody have a clue?

Mark

springhilltinting

Post by springhilltinting » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:28 pm

i don't, but i bet Summa Tech Support does. so i called them. :D

the double-density setting slows the print head so that it actually prints with the same density over the same area twice. it's not actually true double-density, but is called that because it double-prints. as it was explained to me, it shoots the same area of the ribbon twice with a slower print speed and does NOT use more of the ribbon.

the guy from Summa said that the setting was originally developed for banner material or non-premium vinyl that may have any sort of texture, so that possible imperfections would be filled in. now they recommend using it for non-Summa vinyls and have had good results.

hope this helps!