Bitmap question

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
Jodi

Bitmap question

Post by Jodi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Hi !

I've scanned in a customer logo of mine that I'm attaching and I have a question on it.
First of all I feel like I've got amnesia because I can't seem to figure out how to get the background from the design removed. I use Flexi Sign Pro and I do have Corel but I've never used it much on bitmaps.

Secondly, when I print a test eps file that this customer first sent me I was disappointed with the excessive dot pattern on the colors after printing on the DC3. I changed the dot overlap to half and the color offset to none and went from 55-75 on the frequency but when I go up to 75 on the frequency it distorts the orange color. I'm showing you guys the scanned file in a jpg. This customer did originally send me an eps file that came through okay but when I seen the original decal from their previous vendor the quality just seemed like it was much better and I thought I'd just scan it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

TIA...Jodi :?

Jodi

Re: Bitmap question

Post by Jodi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:41 pm

Maybe the third time will be the charm........Is it Friday yet? :)
Attachments
goerend file.jpg
goerend file.jpg (14.24 KiB) Viewed 3575 times

Ruddbow

Post by Ruddbow » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm

sorry that looks like a low rez file. You can't polish a turd. I'd try an utilize the eps they initially sent. Iowa....hell I thought I knew all the DC3 owners in Iowa....welcome aboard!
Summa S75, DC3+ Hobby signmaker.

Jodi

Post by Jodi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm having a not so techno savvy day today.
My TV is even on the fritz!

Anyway, I messed around with the dither type and tried the error diffusion with that eps file. That seems to help with the dot pattern. Does anyone have an educated insight into this feature. It's the first I've experimented with it. My scanned image actually seems to be of better quality than it's shown on here but it is counter productive to re work it that way when I have the eps file.

I didn't think there could be many DC3's in Iowa. Some of my closer suppliers have never heard of one.

Jodi

Ruddbow

Post by Ruddbow » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:55 am

that doesn't surprise me. I know there are 2 (dc's) in central Iowa. You've came to the right place. There are a few people on here that are PRO-DC users. A wealth of information.
Summa S75, DC3+ Hobby signmaker.

zlmark

Post by zlmark » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 am

Jodi, did you try to scan an image and then print it. If that's the case it will
never do. You need to find the graphic designer and get the hi rez art.
Garbage in, garbage out.

Mark

cyberdine

Post by cyberdine » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:20 am

Why don't you re-design the whole thing from scratch on corel???
That design isn't difficult to redo and you'll have a nicely made vector logo.
I do it all the time.
DC3 Plus, Summa D60, Roland PC600
Flexisign Pro 7.6, Photoshop C2, Corel 11

Jodi

Post by Jodi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks for the replies!

I did work with the eps file and got a better result after making adjustments in production manager. Mark, I was trying to scan a finished product decal that was in good quality but I agree that the scanning of it didn't make for a good print. I'm more used to that method using vector so I guess it's a habit to try it out but I'm sure prints are more hard to do that way.

Cyberdine, I don't use Corel alot so I thought it would be easier to utilize the eps file or the hard copy decal that the customer provided. I would have needed to find the same gears as shown in the design or do you actually create something like that from scratch in corel?
I'm not that good at recreating the artwork.

Thanks!
Jodi

cyberdine

Post by cyberdine » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:44 am

Jodi, you can create the whole thing in corel.
That design isn't difficult at all to re-create, and corel is easier to learn than you may think. I don't master corel by any means, I know to use the tools that I use often, when I need to create some complicated design I've never done before I just find out how it can be done and get to it.
Good luck,
DC3 Plus, Summa D60, Roland PC600
Flexisign Pro 7.6, Photoshop C2, Corel 11