It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:10 pm 

Hello everyone,

I am so glad that I found out about this site through signs101...I have been looking into thermal printing for months now as I am trying to get rolling with my motocross graphics full time. I currently have access to a Roland SP540V that I have been using with Convex vinyl and laminates but the print quality/consistency has been a nightmare and it is just not an ideal setup for doing the MX stuff. I do a lot of vehicle lettering and decals as well, the decals I think will be great on the DC4SX especially being able to die cut as well as contour! That is just awesome!! I am a little concerned with how it will print images but I am less concerned with that as I can always revet back to the versacamm if needed for the photo-like prints, although I'm hoping it won't be all that necessary. I was set on a gerber EDGE but the more I looked into the Summa, the more I saw the added bonuses (width, die cutting, print & cut) and the price tag is way more in my current league, I started to really pursue the DC4sx.

I am wondering what is the maximum thinckness of material that I can run through this printer? I know that convex has the 6 or 8 mil clear and white that would work but I was hoping I could find a PVC product without adhesive that is 18 mil and just reverse print on one side and then use 3m adhesive applied over the print...thus eliminating the need to laminate. If that is not an option due to material thickness, then perhaps I will still have to just stick with the print, laminate and cut...although I would have to get a separate cutter to accept the 18 mil combo to cut it out...correct?

Please give me some feedback, your thoughts and concerns. Anyone using the DC4sx for MX stuff or other thick vinyl applications like MX?

**UPDATE** I have been searching on the site over the last hour and I have been reading the other information reguarding MX decals and the summa DC series...I see that TitanMX was having some issues with it fitting what we do and I am waiting to hear from him as to whether or not he was able to get things working correctly.

I appreciate any ifo that anyone has though.

Thanks for any information!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I was hoping I could find a PVC product without adhesive that is 18 mil and just reverse print on one side and then use 3m adhesive applied over the print...thus eliminating the need to laminate.

hmmm not sure about that....seems like a headache..

The dc4sx would surely work for you ( print wise ) with out a doubt, I do know people running convex with excellent results.

You'll want/need a Summa Cutter also... From what I remember TitanMX never gave it a chance, and that's typical...there is a learning curve like anything else.

Anyway ~ I own DC3 & 2 summa cutters - t750 and d160. I cut 15mil and 30mil
magnetic on the t750 all the time. Never ran really heavy stuff through the d160...but I do cut laminated floor graphics on it.. 6 & 9 mil without issue....

I do not think you'll get away from this process - print/laminate/cut.

One thing you could try if you're serious about getting a Summa is to send them
your material, I am certain they would give it a shot....or find someone with equipment that can do the same....

~Muts

I'd be happy to test your stuff, if nothing else to clear the air about this MX
stuff....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:08 pm 

Thanks for the reply Muts...I actually spoke with Rich today from Titan and he had mentioned that he no longer has the Summa stuff, he did say though that he wasn't familiar enough with it and got frustrated so that did play a part in him not keeping it.

I am still interested in the Summa, I am a bit hesitant that it doesn't have a whole lot of colors but I am not familiar with the CMY or K options when it comes to thermal...I assume it just over lays the colors to get the color you are printing??

I would really like to see one in person and see how they tick...anyone know if there are any around the Southern, NH area?

I need to look around Summa's site a bit more for dealers.

Thanks for help, I've been researching the right set-up for the last year...the more I learn the more confussed I get towards a decission.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thanks for help, I've been researching the right set-up for the last year...the more I learn the more confussed I get towards a decission.

yup difficult thing lots of misinformation floating around, your best bet would be to find someone with one so you could see it in action, if not atleast get samples of your work printed.

do not worry about the "limited color" it's pretty silly when you think about it....I have never had issue...cmy cmyk will produce plenty.

Any other questions, fire away...

Summa has a place in Mass ~ Eastern US Office:
222 Jubilee Drive
Peabody MA 01960
USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:44 pm 

I use mine for vehicle graphics all the time. In fact if you aren't doing large wraps it is one of the best printers on the market. The colours are consistent and strong and durable. You can also purchase the ribbon for laminating for stuff that exposed to extreme conditions.
If you are doing large stuff don't bother with a 24 get a larger machine.

I like mine because I am working to one print day a week. I get sales and line up work, then print and cut on the one day. I don't have to worry about cleaning or waiting.

The downside is that the software that goes with it is a bit challenging and the troubleshooting book is poor but Summa does have great Customer Service.

The CMY works well and provides a solid black colour. I haven't had any serious challenges colour matching products.

The price is also great and they are offering a hockey sock full of spot colour ribbons (something that I didn't get)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:19 am 

Hi All

I am from Australia and I am hoping you can help with also creating custom MX graphics.
I work for a company and we have Epson large format printers and also have a large machine that is a celloglazer\laminator and it applies 8 tonne of pressure when applying the laminate to the print.
What I want to do is explore the options in creating custom MX graphics but have a few blank spots that I hope you guy's can fill.
Is the best process
1) Print on 3m adhesive using a printer (Large format in my case).
2) Apply a Laminate or vinyl finish.
3) Use a cutter driven by software to cut the product out.

If there is a better or easier process that some one could share.
I have a few more questions.
A) What 3M adhesive would be the best to use. I am assuming there will be no issues printing this on a large format printer?
B) Is a thick laminate or vinyl best to use? if so do you recommend a brand and model number.

Thanks in advance for your help\guidance.

Brendon