little blank spots when printing

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
mpedro

little blank spots when printing

Post by mpedro » Sun May 11, 2008 12:47 pm

I am getting little blank spots when I am printing on my DC4sx. For example if I print a 4" square in red on white vinyl there will usually be some small white dots, similar to dust but larger at times, all around the image.

I can only assume that the dots are where places are not being printed because of dust or something. But I am using optiprint with a new sheet, I am also using a air can to blow off some dust before I print.

Does anybody else have any suggestions.

Richey2589

Post by Richey2589 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:21 pm

What type of material are you printing on? Have you run a density test on this material?

If so, have you cleaned the print head with some alcohol? Any chance that there could be some dust on the foil (or foils)?

mpedro

Re: little blank spots when printing

Post by mpedro » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:18 pm

The little white dots are still there. Summa support called me to talk about this issue and they said its most likely dust. I pretty much get the random dots on everything I print. Does anybody else have this problem? Does anybody else do anything special to keep dust off of their prints?

I have been using a sharpie to touch up missing spots. So if I am printing a red image and I see a spot I just use a red sharpie to touch it up. The color is not perfect, so I was wondering if anybody has found a brand of marker that works best, as in a better color match for the standard cmyk colors.

wex

Post by wex » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:47 am

as Richey said: What type of material are you printing on?
some material dont reach the good quality to be printed on, take a careful look at it, eye close, and try to find it there are bubbles on it, or maybe some almost not visible wholes on the surface.
and Muts has said many times to put machines away from difficult places like doors, windows, another machines..., anything affecting the external atmosphere close to the DC4.
i think your task is a material problem, but careful with the external influences.

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:57 pm

Try bumping up the density and printing as small test section. I've found variations from roll to roll from the same manufacturer. I've had that exact problem and cured by bumping the overall density by about 400 points
Summa DC4 Illustrator & Photoshop

TogaTony

Post by TogaTony » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:07 pm

White specks is usually a DENSITY problem.

Run a density test by setting your document to 98mm x whatever.
Set a solid color box within that area.
Print via the Summa Color Control and select your ribbon color.
Go to Print Control and set OPTI-TRAK (OPUS marks) same color.

Increase density in Summa Print Control if white specs show up.
(Don't forget to hold shift key down when launching)
Boot density up 300-500 and try again.
If density is too high, ribbon wrinkles white lines appear on vinyl.
If desnity is way too high -- ribbon breaks!
Be careful!

Tony
Summa DC3+, Ledco Digital 42, Versatec E-Stat, Allen Datagraph & Gerber cutters. Apps: Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop on Mac, ColorControl on PC.

TogaTony

Post by TogaTony » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:14 pm

DON'T FORGET:

Change that dirty, sticky-sheet on your Vinyl Roll Cleaner!*
*Also known as (a/k/a) Summa OptiPrint System.
See also opti-clean, opti-print and/.or opticlean in this forum.
dc3feature1zoom.jpg
dc3feature1zoom.jpg (39.37 KiB) Viewed 7915 times
This feature is on DC3 Plus and newer machines only.
It is optional on the DC3.

Tony
Summa DC3+, Ledco Digital 42, Versatec E-Stat, Allen Datagraph & Gerber cutters. Apps: Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop on Mac, ColorControl on PC.

beachnsled

Post by beachnsled » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 am

Oh how I wish more of u visited this site more often - so much good info to be shared! Here's hoping someone reads this!

The OP for this thread asked what are the fave markers of everyone - it's inevitible that no matter how "perfect" our Summas are, we need a good array of flaw-fixers.

So, what markers are the fave? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks!
beach

TogaTony

Post by TogaTony » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:50 pm

Hey beachnsled!

I assume OP means original post, and 'fave' is favorite and 'markers' are Sharpies?
Your colloquial writing is difficult for some of us to understand.
Best stay with proper American syntax. (We're a diverse community, here.)

That being the case:
Sharpie makers are fine but can fade and/or bleed if liquid clearcoat is applied.
(Such as Daige Rollarguard.) -- Not the case with 2mil clear vinyl laminate.

We found that a good collection of PAINT MARKERS are the indispensable
for spot-fixing flaws on vinyl prints.

BEST: PILOT, Marvy DecoColor, ZIF Painty (All Japan made)
OTHER: FORNEY (found in local hardware stores..USA made)
OK: Elmer's Painters (USA made)

And as always ... we run 98mm x n test prints on each ribbon set before we print.
We then increase density by 100 units to each color if white specks found.
If white streak-lines appear, we know we went too far and back off by 50.

Also -- humidity effects output (carrier paper is vulnerable).
We maintain the shop are at no less that 35-40% RH (relative humidity) for optimal printing.

Good luck,

Tony :-)

beachnsled

Post by beachnsled » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks so much! And yes to all of your questions - didn't realize my forum short hand would be misunderstood - will make sure to correct that!
beach

beachnsled

Post by beachnsled » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:16 pm

actually I meant "markers" as markers - that's what they are called, unless I missed a definition/word change - lol

TogaTony

Post by TogaTony » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm so old I remember when they called them "magic markers!"

Interestingly, If it weren't for the fact that I was in the screen printing business back in the day, I probably would have bought an inkjet. Those of us that think in 'spot' colors know this technology all too well.

Our biggest, most profitable product we produce on our DC3 are vehicle magnets.
We sell them for $150/pair and they cost us under $20 to produce.

Flag decals and stickers are a win-win, too.
We sell the little buggers for $3 each and give them away as advertising loss-leaders.

More info here:
http://www.saratogaflag.com/SKIDMORE-CO ... p_721.html
Type 'stickers' or 'decals' in search box for more items.

Make money!

Attachments
stickers.png
stickers.png (232.8 KiB) Viewed 7191 times

mpedro

Post by mpedro » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:08 am

Its great to see this thread return from its hiatus.
The latest pen I have been using is
BIC Mark it
ultra fine point permanent marker

When I color in a blemish, I usually daub it with my finger to blend it in. It works pretty well, but I am going to also give the recommendations that Tony mentioned a try.

beachnsled

Post by beachnsled » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:45 pm

I too am loving that this was brought back to life! I sometimes think an inkjet would be great, but the bio-hazard issue is too much for us. I think a latex printer may be our next choice.

I found a little note on a site that sells DecoColor - says that the markers contain Xylene which doesn't work well with certain plastics. I wonder if there is an issue with the resin and/or vinyl.

Thanks for all the input!

TogaTony

Post by TogaTony » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:27 am

Hey Beach...

It was pretty common knowledge years ago, that some paints never really, completely dry (or fully cure) on some plastics, especially PVC film. Years ago we used to over-coat the painted banners with Future brand acrylic floor wax (I kid you not). That was before Daige Rollaguard came on the scene.

The acrylic clear coat sealed in the polymers and checked the out-gassing of the PVC which prevented the paint from drying completely.

PVC out-gasses a sweet, agreeable but somewhat toxic gas, that takes years to dissipate. That is that 'new car smell' everyone raves about (ha-ha-ha).

Enjoy!