IJ35C Beware

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
Sabretooth

IJ35C Beware

Post by Sabretooth » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Just a heads up for anybody using 3M IJ35C on their machines. They've switched manufacturing facilities from wherever it was being produced to somewhere in South America and the quality has taken a big hit. I had to quit using it because of spoiled prints, the new 3M rolls have Spanish(?) printing on them so beware. I'm trying a few different products right now, Metamark MD5 A-B (decent results) and Drytac Polar Premium (picking it up tomorrow)
The cost of the Summa branded material is crazy once it comes to Canada and drives my costs through the roof so I've been trying to find a decent compromise between cost and quality.
Summa DC4 Illustrator & Photoshop

Muts
Site Admin

Re: IJ35C Beware

Post by Muts » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:51 pm

I stopped using IJ35c a few years ago, it shrinks way to much.

In fact I am done with 3m in general. Have been for 2 years, never been happier. :)

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Hey Muts…… Glad to see you're still monitoring the page :D What brand of vinyl are you printing to these days? I keep finding vinyls that work reasonably well for part of the roll then all hell breaks loose. I had some great results with Metamark MD3 and MD5 but the rolls were really inconsistent so I'm still looking. The Drytac Polar Premium sample roll I got was amazing for a few feet then the white spots took over and all the density in the world (16000) wouldn't take them out. I still have an older roll of IJ35C from before the switch and it prints nice and clean, no drama so I kinda' rule out the dust/printhead issues.

Muts
Site Admin

Post by Muts » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:59 pm

Avery.

White | EASY APPLY
Avery 12YR 900 SuperCast Opaque Vinyl Film.

White | Gloss
Avery SW900 Supreme Wrapping Film EZRS ( this prints incredibly well! )

In fact all of Avery color change wrap films print really nice! I haven't run any of Avery's cheaper stuff yet.

reflective - I still use Nikkalite 48000 Flexible Engineer Grade Reflective

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Thank you Sir: I appreciate the feedback and I happen to have some Nikkalite 48000 in white I've been wanting to try. I'll check out that Avery material, its pretty spendy up here.