DC3 noob in need of help again.

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
Heavenfaced

DC3 noob in need of help again.

Post by Heavenfaced » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi everyone. I now have my DC-3 printer setup in my new workspace. I've done a lot of reading through here and tried to search through the topics to try and learn everything I could. I'm still not able to put two and two together on getting everything started up with this machine.

I suppose getting this machine as my very first vinyl printer may have been biting off a little more than I can chew.
Well first thing I'm struggling with is getting a good illustrator program. This weekend I do have a friend who offered to install either adobe freehand or illustrator on my Windows 10 laptop since he can use his license keys on up to three machines. Although I think I rather buy CorelDraw because I have atleast found a few video guides to somewhat explain designing decals with it.

But I've had some other issues that I've encountered with using some demo image editing software just to try getting the hang of this; assigning colors. So far I tried to use a full-color image I imported from the internet, I converted, and when I got to Summa color control it ask me to start assigning numerical codes to tons of different colors.
Now in the machine I know there are numbers on the carriages for the cyan, magenta, yellow deep blue, black and white. (at least those were the resin ribbons that were loaded on the machine when I purchased it)
I have leased 2 dozen other types of resin ribbons in a myriad of other colors that I don't even know how to use.
I'm unfamiliar with the concept of "spot printing" is that what this color control software was trying to get me to do?

Either way I made two attempts at printing and the machine only made one pass of the design. One time only laying down yellow the other time only laying down black. Nothing I did could make it start putting down more color.

So I guess TL;DR:
. How do I properly make my machine print in color?
. How do I properly prepare an image to be printed (is there any kind of an idiot proof guide?)
. What is spot printing and how do I do it?

Muts
Site Admin

Re: DC3 noob in need of help again.

Post by Muts » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:42 am

make sure you have cmy or cmyk ribbons loaded.

open up color control ( i will assume you have this ) drop your file in and print.
It will ask you if you want to use cmy or cmyk.

Spot colors are something else, you'll need Coreldraw or Adobe Illustrator with summa spot color pallet installed.

Muts

You may PM me for more info.

Heavenfaced

Re: DC3 noob in need of help again.

Post by Heavenfaced » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Okay I hope you don't mind I have sent you 2 Pm's