Looking at DC4 - what to beware of?

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
wakeshredder

Looking at DC4 - what to beware of?

Post by wakeshredder » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:47 am

Hi- I am new to this forum. I am NOT new to printing. I have been a longtime large format print shop worker/manager/partial owner. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Summa DC4 at a good cost. I haven't used there printer/cutters before. I do have a Summa S2 OPOS CAM 64" cutter and it is pretty solid. I guess I don't doubt the engineering of the machine, but wonder how it was cared for and what to beware of? How to inspect the printhead visually? Also, I will have to travel with the unit on a truck for 300 miles. Any advice for transport? Fixing the carriage and head in place somehow? Thanks for any advice!!

Andy

wakeshredder

Re: Looking at DC4 - what to beware of?

Post by wakeshredder » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:07 pm

I received some pictures of the output from the customer. There appears to be white specs on the prints. Does this sound like a bad head? I know that the seller had the machine in storage and that it was very dusty...
Attachments
$_12.jpg
$_12.jpg (25.03 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
$_122.jpg
$_122.jpg (11.99 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

Muts
Site Admin

Post by Muts » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:56 pm

no, they are probably just that DUST, some vinyls can cause this also.

A head would be fine lines indicating a pin out.

He shouldn't run it dusty and I would tell him to refrain from doing it. If there is any sort of debris on the vinyl that can and will damage the head.

PETIT

Post by PETIT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:19 pm

wakeshredder wrote:Hi- I am new to this forum. I am NOT new to printing. I have been a longtime large format print shop worker/manager/partial owner. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Summa DC4 at a good cost. I haven't used there printer/cutters before. I do have a Summa S2 OPOS CAM 64" cutter and it is pretty solid. I guess I don't doubt the engineering of the machine, but wonder how it was cared for and what to beware of? How to inspect the printhead visually? Also, I will have to travel with the unit on a truck for 300 miles. Any advice for transport? Fixing the carriage and head in place somehow? Thanks for any advice!!

Andy
Hy,

Just got the same 2 days ago, a DC4 left in a garage and brought it back home. I'm pretty exited about it but i'm also new to thermal print method so....I will go slowly on this one.
Did you get yours?