Vinyl Shifts Until Crunching Up before Print DC4SX

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
aroundtown

Vinyl Shifts Until Crunching Up before Print DC4SX

Post by aroundtown » Wed May 13, 2015 1:19 pm

I have no problems printing on light coloured/white vinyls, but I seem to remember printing early on (a few years ago) onto Black vinyl without any problems. For some reason now I have problems with the printer shifting the vinyl and trying to "line it up" till the point of jamming it under the clamp. It happens even on bright blue or brighter green vinyls. As soon as it shifts more than 2 times I shut the printer off.

I'm trying to print gold/silver chrome onto darker colours and know that I've done it before. Is there any advanced print options to disable this shifting that the printer does? I have the vinyl loaded perfectly straight so it's totally unnecessary.

I even tried putting a strip of white vinyl down the side of the darker material but it shifts anyways.

intersign

Re: Vinyl Shifts Until Crunching Up before Print DC4SX

Post by intersign » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:54 am

Hi,

I can't help you with this problem, but I have kind of the same problem myself and was wondering if you found a solution?

- Thomas -

PhilJohnson

Post by PhilJohnson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi Guys,

When using colored vinyls, black in this case, you need to set your media edge to 0. When the material is being jogged to the left it is because the printer could not detect the media edge because there isn't enough contrast from the printer surface(which is black) and the media edge(which is also black in this example).

The quick fix is to set your media edge to 0 and then manually assign a media width on the printer's menu. Just keep in mind that when you set your media edge to 0 the printer won't attempt to detect the media edge so if your media is actually drifting as it is being fed the printer wouldn't square it up prior to printing each pass which could cause some alignment issues.

Feel free to contact our support team at (800)323-9766 if you would like to go over this process in more detail.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

intersign

Post by intersign » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:28 am

Thank you Phil, this was helpful. I think my problem probably have to do with a faulty Opos sensor (we've had this machine for quite some years)? My DC4sx always come up with 672mm as print width. If so, does summa have a guide for replacing the opos sensor? Our residence is in Bergen, Norway, and there is as far as I know, no summa qualified service firms in the area.

PhilJohnson

Post by PhilJohnson » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi Intersign,

Unfortunately we do not have any service techs in your area. That said, it sounds like a pretty easy swap to replace the sensor on your DC4sx after discussing it with our techs here in the US. My best recommendation would be to contact our European office so they can provide you with information on where you can purchase the sensor and also get you some installation instructions so you can swap the sensor yourself. Their email is support@summa.be.

I hope this information is helpful!

Regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

intersign

Post by intersign » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:20 am

Thank you, Phil.

I found and ordered a new sensor.

- Thomas - Intersign

PhilJohnson

Post by PhilJohnson » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Awesome, glad to hear you were able to track down the part you needed. Feel free to email me directly at philj@summa.us if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.