DAMN!! Need to replace DC4 Print Head

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
signzone

DAMN!! Need to replace DC4 Print Head

Post by signzone » Thu May 02, 2013 10:33 am

Looking for some info on where I should look for a print head. I'm in Canada and Summa USA wouldn't help me for free so I was able to get help from the supplier I bought the machine from in Sept 2009. There tech support said it looks very likely to be a head issue.

What I'm getting is on every pass of the head a white line about the center of the pass. All ribbons. I tried the clean print head, and the cleaning with alcohol and a lint free cloth. Worked on it for a whole week before giving in to the obvious.

My supplier here in Ontario gave me a quote for $4522 which includes the new head and the tool kit to replace it. After I woke up from my fainting spell I thought I would ask to see if there is some where I can get one cheaper.

Thanks
Nick

valtm

Re: DAMN!! Need to replace DC4 Print Head

Post by valtm » Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Try ink4u.ca (in Mississauga). I bought a new print head from them about 18 months ago for around $2000. They also have good prices on ribbons.

zlmark

Post by zlmark » Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 pm

I have a hard time imagining how Summa gets what they do for
their print heads. In the U.S. I think it is $1500. Gotta say I'm
real bothered by that price too. As I need a head too I think I
may just farm out my work until they come back to earth. Hope
they are reading this.
Summa you have got to figure out something for us. There just
has to be a better way........or it will be without Summa.
Your print heads I think are really not built to last.

Mark

Muts
Site Admin

Post by Muts » Thu May 02, 2013 10:32 pm

I have replaced mine 2 times.

1499 at the time plus core charge which I think was around 500 which I was credited back when they received the old one...

signzone

Post by signzone » Fri May 03, 2013 8:13 pm

You know, the quote doesn't even say anything about a core charge on the head. I will check out ink4u.ca next week. Right now I'm running my poor old D120 to the ground trying to get projects done to get the money needed to replace the head.

zlmark

Post by zlmark » Sat May 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Let us know what you come up with Nick. Summa has to come up
with something better for us. Here is another one to try. They
are out of Belgium.

http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/catal ... p=2&q=dc3-

Mark

signzone

Post by signzone » Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Contacted ink4u.ca. They said that the price will be a lot cheaper. Just waiting for the final quote. Will keep forum up to date on this.

signzone

Post by signzone » Thu May 23, 2013 3:52 pm

So today I received the new head from ink4u. The price was about $2000 with delivery and taxes. I installed the new head but I'm not ready to turn it on yet. I have one quick question. I hope I don't sound to much like a newb but, I received a new cleaning pad with the new head. Am I suppose to remove the blue plastic from the cleaning pad or not? It wasn't removed from the original when the tech came and installed the printer 5 years ago.

Thanks

zlmark

Post by zlmark » Fri May 24, 2013 3:48 pm

I really don't think that blue plastic is suppose to stay. You know
like when you get your new phone or whatever the blue plastic
is covering the screen. Are you saying you never removed the
plastic from when you first got the machine? Keep us posted.
Don't worry about the NewB questions. We all have something
to learn.

Mark

ptegolf

Post by ptegolf » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Getting this white line myself, which lead me to your thread. I wanted to comment that we did not remove the blue on the cleaning pad, and I've had a Summa tech here in house after we flew him on location, and he confirmed you leave the blue on.

mpedro

Post by mpedro » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

I have had the same issue for years with a small white line appearing. I did not have the money to buy a new print-head so I just used a fine tip permanent marker to fill in the line. I then smudge the line a little with my fingertip to blend it and to dull the finish, as the ink finish is more glossy.
Another thing I do that helps, is that I created a file in Corel, kind of like a template, that shows exactly where my white line or dead print head line, will show up. I then try to fit my prints or passes of the print head in between those lines. if possible I try to line up the blank lines with areas of my print that will have the least effect or be the easiest to fix.

I have been doing this for about 3 years now and still have not purchased a new print head.

Another hint for you, I have tried many different types of permanent markers and the best that I have found so far are the "BIC® Mark-it™ Fine Point Permanent Markers"

Hope this helps
Cheers,

RA-Graphics

Post by RA-Graphics » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:07 pm

I replaced the head last night. It was a chore with fat hands. Hopefully, next time is way down the road and learned a few things to where it won't take as long as it did.

No core charge BTW.

PETIT

Post by PETIT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Hy,
Just bought a DC4 but also need to replace print head.Apparently there is no support here in France and no document to help us to spawn it ourselves. If anyone have informations it will be welcome :(