Summa DC4SX Help

This group is for Summa Printers & Plotters. Questions and issues, advice on all things Summa.
theateam

Summa DC4SX Help

Post by theateam » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:48 pm

We are trying to get our Summa DC4SX to finally start paying for itself, but we have had a list of issue that we can't seem to overcome and are hoping someone might be able to help us with. First off we cannot get rid of little fleck looing pieces that show up in our prints no matter how much we clean the machine it just looks like pieces of dust are everywhere on our prints.

Also it seems that this machine is a habitual waster of material for every little operation or calibration that it needs when you swap out the materials.

We bought the machine used, and I believe some of our issue may lie with our particular machine itself so I was wondering if there might be someone close to Iowa that might be willing to let us observe how thier machine works so we can get an idea if our machine is dealing with issues beyond operator malfunction.

Any and all tips are appreciated.

Also, anyone know where one can find material to print posters with?

Xtreme

Re: Summa DC4SX Help

Post by Xtreme » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:24 pm

We purchased a DC4 back in May, so I'm still fairly new at this but I'll do my best to help you out.

If I'm not mistaken the DC4SX has the OptiPrint cleaning system (orange or pink roller mounted on the right side of the print head with a lint roller-looking thing mounted above it). If it does and it's not lowering it to clean on the first color of each pass check Summa Printer Controls to see if it's enabled, hold down Shift while opening SPC, then in System Configurations look for a parameter called Vinyl Cleaner and make sure it's set to "Mounted" (or tear off a sheet on the lint roller if it's dirty?). If it's installed and enabled and is working then the next thing to check is the type of vinyl you're using. 3M Premium or Intermediate from Summa? Avery? Oracal? If the surface of the vinyl you are using is not pretty damn smooth it might look like dust or debris in the print. Even the 3M Premium Control Tac (3M IJ180-CV3-10) they sell on their Summa Store site isn't always great, some rolls have a rough surface that when printing looks like some of the print has been rubbed off.

Yes, it does waste a lot of material for calibration tests. Every time you raise the clamps do a Recommended Linefeed Calibration test, there's no way around it if you're printing something that's more than one pass. Try to plan ahead and print everything you can with the material you have loaded before you swap it out for something else, then print everything you can with that material before swapping it again.

If I was anywhere near Iowa I would come help with what I can, but unfortunately I'm in Utah.

You can only print on vinyl and banner material, no paper or cardstock. You can print on vinyl and stick it to corrugated plastic, or an acrylic board, but it can be pricey.

Hope this helps.

Rrated

Re: Summa DC4SX Help

Post by Rrated » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks for the tip , with the cleaner